My step dad was in the National Guard when my mom and him got married so we also married into the military. Growing up we fed the soldiers breakfast on drill weekend. After 9/11 a lot of our soldiers were sent to Iraq, the FRG sent care packages with the money that was raised doing breakfast. With the FRG we did all the fun activities and still did the breakfast every drill weekend for the soldiers that stayed behind. When the rest got back from Iraq, the FRG leaders quit and handed everything over to my mom and I. Since then we have been doing this on our own and have done well. Every once in a while we get some help but the help never sticks around. My mom and I would go to the field with them and feed them lunch so they do not have to eat MREs (meals ready to eat). Wherever they go, we go. We show them that there are people out other than their families that support them.
After my step dad retired, my mom and I still take time out of our weekends to feed them breakfast and/or lunch. Volunteering my time to feed these guys has helped me decide what I want to do with the rest of my life. I always said that I would never choose another group of guys but I want to gain more work. This particular group is more of my family than my actual family. Helping them find resources to keep up on their bills and whatever else they need makes me happy. This life has taught me how to be caring of others especially men and women who serve our country and I will continue to do my part and serve them.
![]() |
| Seeing soldiers smile makes me happy. |

No comments:
Post a Comment